Monday 3 November 2008

Hold The Line!

I've been reading up on Hold The Line!

This is one of those abilities of mine that takes up a slot in my action bar, but is just about never clicked on!

Well after having a good inspection of the ability, it appears more useful that I first thought!

It clearly states that you (I) will increase chances to dodge (melee and ranged attacks?) and disrupt by 45% for 12 seconds.

12 seconds isn't that long, and it pretty much drains all of your action points. Read on with me...

You (I) will also defend all allies behind you up to 40 feet away, increasing their chances to dodge and disrupt by 15% as long as they remain at your back.

Allies may have this effect stacked on them up to 3 times.

So... Thwomp runs into battle with all the squishy healers and ranged guys throwing everything at Order, but Order are doing the same, leaving me to charge into melee! I quickly pop Hold The Line! and all of my fellow runts behind me (including the healers keeping me alive) won't be getting minced by all of the Bright Wizards flamey goodness, the Witch Hunters magic bullets or the Archmages... whatever it is they cast. Ok 15% isn't that much, but it's better than nothing right?

What if 3 Black Orcs ran up the field? Each of us would get 45% chance to dodge and disrupt, and as long as all 3 of us were close enough to the runts, they would get 45% too!

Hang on... am I reading it right?

Is it possible that 4 Black Orcs (Thwomp being one of them) run in, I stop slighty before them, they all pop Hold The Line! buffing me with 45% chance to dodge/disrupt for being behind them, and then I pop Hold The Line! to make me have 90% chance to dodge/disrupt?

Although Hold The Line! seems like a great ability when getting stormed or fighting a really immensley hard boss, it's not particularly that good for holding agro or dealing any damage back, since all you will be doing is Auto-Attack...

With everything said, is Hold The Line! really worth it? Can't it have a large cooldown, cost a set amount of AP but continue to have the same effects? Much like (I dread to say this) the Shield Wall ability for a Warrior in WoW? Although it won't be used very often, but it provides excellent protection for yourself and all the runts, which would make me use it more than 'never'.

1 comment:

Mike J L. said...

I used this a few times during the "WW1 trench battle" in the T3 ORvR live event. Worked pretty good.